
Proverbs 16:9 (NIV) says, “In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.”
When I was in school today, we were talking about what we wanted to be when we became adults. My immediate answer was to be an engineer because I like to build things. But it also had me thinking about what God wants me to do with my life, and if He and I have the same plans.
The truth is that just because we want to do something, it doesn’t mean God is going to shift whatever plans He has for us. We might have our whole future figured out in our heads. We can picture where we want to go, what kind of job we want, how much money we want to make, and even what we think our lives should look like. But God knows things about our future that we don’t know yet.
Isaiah 55:8–9 (NIV) says, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
This is because God knows the absolute best-case scenario for us. So even if what you see is a big successful path with no downsides, God can see that there are plenty of holes for you to fall in. He can see where that path leads years from now, while we can only see what looks good to us today. Sometimes God might even lead us away from something we really wanted, and at first, we might not understand why.
Psalm 32:8 (NIV) says, “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.” That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t make plans or think about our future. I still think being an engineer would be pretty cool. But I also have to leave room for God to show me what He created me to do. My plans are based on what I know right now. God’s plans are based on everything He already knows.
So when you think about your future, it’s okay to dream and make plans. Just don’t hold onto those plans so tightly that you won’t let God change them. Sometimes the path God chooses might not look like the one you imagined, but He can see the whole road. We can’t.
Scripture quotations taken from The Holy Bible, New International Version® NIV®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.®. Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
“My Plans Verses God’s Plans”, written for aheartforchristdevotions.blogspot.com by Kraiapril©2026. All rights reserved. All done to the glory of God through Jesus Christ our Lord!
No comments:
Post a Comment